What Happens If I Lose after a Hearing Before a Judge?

FAQ: What happens if I lose after a Hearing before an Administrative Law Judge? What can I do next?

A: You have the right to file an appeal with the Appeals Council. Any appeal should be filed immediately following the denial by the Administrative Law Judge as you only have 60 days from the date on the decision to file your appeal.

In the alternative, you have the right to reapply and start a new Social Security claim. Unfortunately, you can no longer file an appeal and file a new application at the same time anymore.

Click here for more information about the Appeals Council level of appeal.

Posted in: More SSA FAQ, Social Security Disability and SSI, SSDI, SSI

Posted by Nick A. Ortiz, Esq.

Mr. Ortiz founded The Ortiz Law Firm in June 2012. His practice is limited to representing the injured and disabled. Mr. Ortiz is a Board Certified Social Security Disability Attorney and handles SSDI and SSI initial applications an appeals. He handles Long Term Disability (LTD), Short Term Disability (STD), Individual Disability Insurance, and ERISA Disability claims. He also represents individuals who have suffered serious injuries in accidents. He offers free consultations, so call 850-308-7833 to see if he can be of any assistance in your claim.