HM Life Insurance Company and Long Term Disability
Highmark Life & Casualty Group, Inc. was incorporated in 1990 and changed its name to HM Insurance Group, Inc. in April 2006. The company is based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. HM Insurance Group now consists of HM Life Insurance Company, HM Life Insurance Company of New York, HM Benefits Administrators and Highmark Casualty Insurance Company.
HM Life Insurance Company’s Disability Income products provide disability income benefits for a covered disability resulting from an accident or sickness. HM Life has plans that pay benefits for total and partial disability:
- Total Disability: For employees who are not able to work at their own occupation because of an accident or illness, HM’s Disability Income plan pays benefits at one of three income replacement levels – approximately 50%, 60% and 70%.
- Partial Disability: Employees who return to work while disabled will receive the weekly benefit for total disability reduced by the income they receive while working provided they are unable to perform at least one of their own job duties and are earning less than 50% of their pre-disability weekly earnings. As an incentive to return to work, the weekly benefit will not be reduced unless the sum of income the employee receives while working and the benefit payable for total disability exceeds 80% of his or her pre-disability weekly earnings.
Appeal of HM Life Insurance Company Denial Letter
If you have an individual policy or are a government employee and your long term disability claim has been denied or cut-off, you may not have to file an administrative appeal with the insurance company to enforce your rights. You should consult with an experienced disability attorney to determine your legal rights.
If you have a group plan HM Life disability policy, your policy is likely governed by ERISA. ERISA does have strict appeal procedures and deadlines. ERISA requires an internal or administrative appeal if your benefits are terminated or denied. The time limit to file an appeal is very limited, usually only 180 days. Under some policies, you may have a second, voluntary appeal.
HM Life Long Term Disability Attorney
Disability attorney Nick A. Ortiz offers the following legal services for disability claimants that have a long-term disability insurance policy or individual disability income policy purchased from HM Life:
- Appeal of an HM Life Insurance denial of individual or government long-term disability insurance benefits;
- ERISA appeal of an HM Life Insurance denial of group LTD insurance benefits;
- Appeal of an HM Life Insurance wrongful termination of individual or government long-term disability insurance benefits;
- ERISA appeal of an HM Life Insurance wrongful termination of group LTD insurance benefits;
- Lawsuit against HM Life Insurance after final denial of individual or government long-term disability insurance benefits;
- ERISA Lawsuit against HM Life Insurance after final denial of group long-term disability benefits; and
- Lump-sum buyout or settlement of an HM Life Insurance long-term disability insurance policy.
Call HM Life Insurance disability attorney Nick A. Ortiz at 850-308-7833 for a free case evaluation.