Principal Life Insurance Company Long Term Disability Claims
Principal Life is a part of the Principal Financial Group.
The Principal Life Claims Process
Nearly one in five U.S. workers will become disabled for one year or more before the age of 65. Long-Term Disability Insurance protects your income in the event of a disability. Principal Life Insurance Company sells long term disability (LTD) policies. Unfortunately Principal Life does not always pay benefits when it should and denies some LTD claims.
Filing a Disability Claim With Principal Life
The LTD Application
You can file a long-term disability claim with Principal Life several ways:
- Online: online claim form submission here;
- Fax: 1.800.255.6609;
- Mail: via printable claim form submission. A copy of the printable claim form is embedded below and may be downloaded directly from this site.
Principal Life Insurance Company
Attn: Group Life & Disability Claims Department
Des Moines, IA 50392-0002
- Telephonic claim submission available upon employer request.
Verification of LTD Claim
For each claim it is necessary for Principal Life to verify an employee is eligible for benefits. Many resources may be used when reviewing new and ongoing claims to help verify any claims, including:
- Attending Physician’s Statement (APS);
- Physician records;
- Hospital records;
- Activity reports from investigative companies;
- “Independent” compulsory medical exams;
- the Claimant;
- Consultation with Principal Life’s disability nurse and vocational consultant
- Visits by Principal Life’s disability staff
- Medical review by Principal Life’s medical directors
- Home Visit; and
- Medical reviews
Principal Life may request additional information from the claimant, group policyholder and/or the attending physician if needed throughout the claims process.
The Principal Claim Manager will call the claimant to determine the following:
- Return to work intentions;
- Proposed treatment plan by the attending physician;
- The claimant’s daily activities; and
- The claimant’s Social Security disability status
Notification of a Decision
Once a determination has been made on a long term disability claim, Principal Life will notify the claimant with a decision in writing (a copy also goes to the employer) that may include the following when appropriate:
- The claim decision;
- The taxability of any benefits;
- Social Security Disability issues;
- Notification of outstanding information needed;
- The need to contact Principal Life if returning to work;
- The need to report any additional income received; and
- If denied, how to appeal the claim decision.
When a long-term disability claim is approved, Principal Life will send a letter with the final payment date for disability benefits and the date when the definition of disability changes.
Ongoing Processes and Verification
Principal Life may use “in-house resources” during the disability review process, which may include:
- Disability nurse consultants;
- Vocational rehabilitation consultants;
- In-house physicians; and
- Other external vendors / medical providers.
The frequency of verification of an employee’s current disability status depends on the following:
- The controlling policy’s definition of “disability”
- The claimant’s medical condition(s); and
- The prognosis of the claimant’s medical condition(s).
Principal Life will contact a claimant at least once every 18-24 months to verify their condition has not changed and answer any questions the claimant may have.
Principal Life Disability Attorney
We are typically contacted by claimants when they have received a denial letter from Principal Life in their claim for long-term disability benefits and want to appeal. The denial could be from the initial application with no benefits ever being being paid, or the denial could be a termination of benefits (also called a cessation or cut-off of benefits). Cessation claims can also be appealed.
Nick A. Ortiz is an experienced disability attorneys and founder of the Ortiz Law Firm. Mr. Ortiz has provided and offers the following legal services for disability claimants that have a group long-term disability insurance policy purchased through an employer or an individual disability income policy purchased from Principal Group:
- The initial application for long-term disability benefits with Principal Life;
- Appeal of a Principal Life denial of long-term disability benefits;
- Appeal of a Principal Life termination of long term disability benefits;
- ERISA appeal of a Principal Life denial of long-term disability benefits
- A Federal lawsuit or complaint against Principal Life for the wrongful denial of long-term disability benefits;
- Negotiation of a Lump-sum buyout of a Principal Life long-term disability insurance policy.
If you have a claim against Principal Life for the wrongful denial or cessation of long-term disability benefits, contact the Ortiz Law Firm at 850-308-7833 for a free case evaluation today.
Here is a copy of an application for group Principal Life Disability Insurance benefits:
Here is a copy of an application for individual Principal Life Disability Insurance benefits: