According to the most recent data available from the U.S. Census Bureau, 7.6 percent of Phoenix residents are disabled due to some type of injury or illness. This percentage may seem high, but in the right context, almost any condition can be disabling. Whether it be diabetes or a fractured bone, many different illnesses and injuries can leave you unable to earn an income. The inability to earn a living can be a scary situation for most people. Very few individuals have enough money to cover their regular living expenses and medical costs without a regular paycheck.
Fortunately, there are benefits you can apply for to get assistance. If your employer provides disability insurance, you might be eligible for benefits if you have an illness or injury that prevents you from doing your job. Major employers in Phoenix, like Infusionsoft, PetSmart, Circle K, the state of Arizona, and Banner Health, offer disability insurance benefits to their employees. Another option is Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits. To qualify for these benefits, you must be unable to work in any job for a full year.
Phoenix Long Term Disability, ERISA, and Disability Insurance Claims
We represent long-term disability claimants in Phoenix, throughout Arizona, and across the country. Most long-term disability insurance claims are governed by a federal regulation called ERISA. Under ERISA, you don’t have the right to a jury trial, and in most cases, extensive discovery is not allowed. This means that most of the work involves paperwork, brief writing, and mail correspondence. It’s highly unlikely that you’ll need to appear in court, so we can handle federal court cases anywhere in the country.
We assist people in appealing denied long-term disability claims. If necessary, we can file a lawsuit on your behalf against the insurance company. While we usually don’t handle short-term disability claims, we might be able to help if your long-term disability policy is affected. If the insurance company has offered you a lump sum to settle your claim, we can help you assess the fairness of the offer and potentially negotiate a higher settlement.
If you live in Phoenix or the surrounding area and can no longer work due to injury or illness, reach out to Ortiz Law Firm. To schedule a free case evaluation, call us today at (888) 321-8131.
Phoenix Courts, Government, and Department of Insurance Information
Long Term Disability Case Summaries from Arizona Courts
Common Injuries and Illnesses That Lead to Disabilities in Phoenix
Some injuries and illnesses are so severe that you can’t perform the important duties of your occupation at all. Below are some common disabilities for which we’ve helped past clients get the individual or group long-term disability benefits they deserved:
- Fibromyalgia – Fibromyalgia causes widespread pain, fatigue, and tenderness in specific areas of the body. Many Americans suffer from this debilitating medical condition.
- Multiple Sclerosis – Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a persistent autoimmune condition that targets the central nervous system, encompassing the brain, spinal cord, and optic nerves. As MS advances, it exacerbates symptoms and heightens the risk of disability.
- Spine Disorders – One of the main causes of disability is the pain associated with spinal diseases and injuries. This pain usually occurs when changes in the bones put pressure on the spinal cord or nerves. Spine injuries and diseases can also limit a person’s ability to move.
- Crohn’s Disease – Crohn’s disease causes inflammation and damage to tissues that requires long-term management. In most cases, this condition is considered chronic, meaning it lasts for a person’s entire life. Crohn’s disease is a type of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder – Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, is an anxiety disorder triggered by traumatic events. While many people associate PTSD with military personnel, it can be triggered by any traumatic experience. Survivors of sexual assault, victims of gang violence, and witnesses to violent crimes are among the wide range of individuals affected by PTSD.
If you received a diagnosis of one of the conditions above or any other condition that effects your ability to work, you may be entitled to claim long-term disability benefits.
Phoenix Social Security Disability Claims
We represent Social Security claimants in Phoenix and the surrounding areas. We assist claimants with Social Security Disability Claims at the following stages:
- Initial Application
- Request for Reconsideration
- Request for Hearing before an Administrative Law Judge
Phoenix SSA Locations and Resources
Call Disability Attorney Nick Ortiz For a Free Case Evaluation
Nick Ortiz is an experienced disability insurance attorney who knows how to get his clients the benefits they deserve. He and the legal team at Ortiz Law Firm have recovered millions in benefits for past clients. To schedule your free case evaluation with a Phoenix disability lawyer, call us at (888) 321-8131.