Companion Life Insurance Company specializes in employee benefits. Companion Life sells True Group (10+ Employees), Trust Group (2 to 9 Employees), and Voluntary products through a network of independent agents and brokers, general agents, and managing general underwriters. Companion Life sells life and disability plans, including long-term disability insurance plans. Companion Life serves groups of as small as two to groups with hundreds or thousands of employees.
Companion Life’s Definition of “Disability”
Companion Life’s definition of disability is critical in determining eligibility for benefits. The definition of disability in your policy may differ, but here is an example:
Disability or Disabled means that an employee cannot perform one or more of the essential duties of his/her occupation throughout the duration of the elimination period; occupation for the 24 months following the elimination period, and as a result, the current monthly earnings are less than 80 percent of the indexed pre-disability earnings, and after that, any occupation.
The term “occupation” is defined in a Companion Life policy as it is recognized in the general workplace and not the specific job performed for a specific employer or location.
“Any occupation” means an occupation for which the employee is qualified by education, training, or experience, and that has earnings potential greater than the lesser of the product of the indexed pre-disability earnings and the benefit percentage, or the maximum monthly benefit.
Companion Life Long-Term Disability Plan Choices
- Two-Year / Reducing Benefit Duration (RBD): This program is popular with companies with a mostly “blue-collar” workforce. The plan includes all the valuable features of the standard LTD contract. All employees receive coverage equal to 60 percent of their earnings to a maximum benefit of up to $6,000 monthly. Elimination Period options are 90 or 180 days, and the maximum payment duration is two years with a Reducing Benefit Duration (RBD) for older workers.
- Five-Year / Reducing Benefit Duration (RBD): A maximum payment duration of five years is also available. A Reducing Benefit Duration (RBD) is included for older workers. All employees receive coverage equal to 60 percent of their earnings to a maximum benefit of up to $6,000 monthly. This plan also provides a choice of Elimination Periods of either 90 days or 180 days before benefit payments begin. All standard LTD features apply to this program.
- Age 65 / Reducing Benefit Duration (RBD): This benefit is available to all groups. With this plan, benefits can be extended to age 65. A Reducing Benefit Duration (RBD) is included for older workers. All employees receive coverage equal to 60 percent of their earnings to a maximum benefit of up to $6,000 monthly.
Appeal a Companion Life Disability Denial Letter
If you are covered by a group disability policy, your claim will probably be regulated by a federal law called ERISA. ERISA mandates an internal or administrative appeal if your benefits are denied and sets rigorous guidelines and timelines for the appeal process. The time limit to appeal is quite short, typically only 180 days. Some policies may also offer the opportunity for a second appeal.
However, you may have an individual disability insurance policy or are a government or church employee, and your claim has either been denied or terminated. If so, you might not be required to file an administrative appeal with the insurance provider to protect your rights. It is advisable to speak with a disability attorney with significant experience to understand your legal options and rights.
Companion Life Long-Term Disability Attorney
Florida disability attorney Nick A. Ortiz offers the following legal services for disability claimants who have a long-term disability insurance policy or individual disability income policy purchased from Companion Life Insurance Company:
- Appeal of a Companion Life denial of individual or government long-term disability insurance benefits;
- ERISA appeal of a Companion Life Insurance Company denial of group LTD insurance benefits;
- Appeal of a Companion Life wrongful termination of individual or government long-term disability insurance benefits;
- ERISA appeal of a Companion Life Insurance Company wrongful termination of group LTD insurance benefits;
- Lawsuit against Companion Life after final denial of individual or government long-term disability insurance benefits;
- ERISA Lawsuit against Companion Life after final denial of group long-term disability benefits; and
- Lump-sum buyout or settlement of a Companion Life long-term disability insurance policy.
Call a Companion Life disability attorney at the Ortiz Law Firm at (888) 321-8131 for a free case evaluation.