The Social Security Administration maintains all Social Security Disability claim files in an electronic format. The instructions below will walk you through the process of obtaining and opening an encrypted CD from the SSA.
How Do I Get a Copy of My Social Security Disability File?
A claimant and/or an authorized representative has the right to obtain a copy of the file on an encrypted CD-ROM. You can request your file from the SSA by visiting your local office or calling the SSA’s toll-free number at 1-800-772-1213. When you request file, you will need to provide the SSA with some personal information, so make sure you are prepared. You will need to provide the SSA with your social security number, your name, your birth date and the address you would like the file mailed to. If you are requesting your records in person at your local office, you may also need to provide proof of identification.
When Should I Request a Copy of My Social Security Disability File?
When preparing to appeal a Social Security Disability claim denial, you should get a copy of your file so that you can review all of the evidence used to decide your claim and determine if any evidence was missing. You should request your file as soon as you receive you denial letter. You will not be able to get your records from the Social Security office the same day. Your records will need to be mailed to you even if you request your records in person.
Opening an Encrypted CD from the SSA: Step-by Step Instructions
- Insert the CD into your PC’s CD-ROM drive.
- Double-click on the desktop icon labeled “My Computer” or “Computer”.
- Double-click on your PC’s CD-ROM drive to display the contents of the CD.
- Double-click on the MfeEERM.exe file located on the CD.
- Enter the password and click OK.
- The best way to view the documents is by using the index.html file that displays each document name as a link. In order to use the index.html file, the documents must be copied into a folder by taking the following steps:
- Create a new folder on your computer.
- Click on Edit then Select All to highlight all files and folders in the window on the right side of McAfee Removable Media Protection screen.
- Right click on the highlighted files and select [Copy].
- Right click on the newly created folder and select [Paste].
- In the new folder, double-click on the index.html file.
- Double-click on a document to open the document.
- If you extracted files to your hard drive or server, when you no longer need the files, delete the file from your hard drive or server.
You can view the files individually from the McAfee Removable Media Protection screen by double-clicking the [docs] folder. You must select each document separately. If you double-click the index.html file from the McAfee Removable Media Protection screen, clicking on any of the Exhibit List links will not open the document.
What Is the Password for an SSA CD?
The password is the first 4 letters of the claimant’s first name in lowercase letters (if the name is less than four characters use “#”s after the last alpha), a number sign (#), and the last 4 numbers of the claimant’s Social Security Number (SSN).
For example: If your name is Mickey Mays and your SSN is 123-45-6789, the encryption password is mick#6789. If your name is Tom Mays and your SSN is 123-45-6789, the encryption password is tom##6789.
If you enter incorrect information in the Password field 3 times, a blank screen will display. Please contact the local Office of Disability Adjudication and Review (ODAR) office that sent you the CD.
Get Help from a Board-Certified Social Security Attorney
You should also consider retaining a disability attorney to review your file and represent you in the Social Security Disability appeal process. An experienced disability attorney will know what evidence is needed to support your claim for disability benefits. Your attorney will be able to determine if key information is missing and what additional evidence is needed to prove your disability. You only pay an attorney’s fee if you win, so there is nothing to lose.
If you are ready to get professional help with your claim, Ortiz Law Firm is here for you. We understand the medical requirements you must meet and how to get the medical evidence needed to prove your disability. If you need help with the appeal process, we will fight for the Social Security Disability benefits that you deserve.
Nick Ortiz is a Board-Certified Social Security Disability attorney who offers a free case evaluation to Social Security Disability claimants across the United States. There is no obligation to hire our firm. If you do decide to move forward, there are no attorney’s fees unless you win your case. Fill out the form on our website or call (888) 321-8131 to schedule your free case evaluation.
Save These Instructions For Later
If this information was helpful and you would like to save these instructions for future reference, here are the step-by-step instructions for opening an encrypted CD from the SSA in PDF format. Click the image below to download the PDF file:
Leave a Reply