What would you do if you were suddenly unable to go to work and didn’t receive your paycheck for six months? Or two years? Could you pay your bills on time and afford your usual living expenses? Would you be able to afford the medical treatment that you need? Many people mistakenly believe that this would only happen if you suffered a terrible accident, but that is not the case. The majority of disabilities result from illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
Disability insurance policies exist to protect your income should you become disabled. Unfortunately, many of those who apply for benefits will be denied. Even those who are initially approved for benefits face an uncertain future, as many claims are wrongfully terminated. At the end of the day, the insurance carrier is a business, and Ameritas is no exception. It is in the insurance company’s best interest to deny claims. If your claim was wrongfully denied or terminated, Ortiz Law Firm will help you fight back against Ameritas. For those who have not yet filed for benefits, keep reading for tips to help you through the process.
Ameritas Disability Denials
Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. is a mutual insurance company that has been in existence since 1887. It is owned by Ameritas Mutual Holding Company, headquartered in Lincoln, Nebraska, United States. The company includes Ameritas Mutual Holding Company and Ameritas Holding Company, as well as Ameritas Life Insurance Corp. of New York. In 2006, it merged with Union Central Life Insurance.
Ameritas offers individual disability insurance policies to diverse clients from medical professionals to skilled laborers. Although it has been recognized as one of the best individual disability insurance companies, Ameritas has a history of denying claims. It happens all too often. Legitimate claims are denied, and claimants are left without the benefits they thought they could depend on. Despite paying your premiums for months, maybe even years, you may be left scrambling to figure out how to afford your regular living expenses and the added cost of medical treatment for your disabling condition.
If Ameritas has denied or terminated your disability insurance claim, you may be wondering whether you should file your own appeal or hire an attorney. Many individuals with a disability insurance policy need to hire an experienced disability attorney to fight for the benefits they deserve. Nick A. Ortiz, the founder of the Ortiz Law Firm, has over a decade of experience representing disabled individuals in their insurance claims across the United States. Our legal team has the skill and insight necessary to help you address a wide range of issues relating to disability law and your claim for benefits. The video below answers the question as to whether you should take the “do-it-yourself” approach and file your own appeal to a denial letter.
Reasons Your Claim May Have Been Denied
There are several reasons why Ameritas may deny a claim for benefits:
- Ameritas had your claim reviewed by an “independent” physician. This means that your medical records were sent to one of their doctors, and based upon that doctor’s opinions, the insurance company says they think you could go back to work;
- Ameritas ordered a vocational analysis of your claim. This means that they’ve sent your file to one of their job experts and their job expert says that you can return to work in some capacity;
- Ameritas says there is just insufficient medical evidence. They may say that ”we don’t think that the evidence in your medical records shows that you are unable to perform your job.”
- There’s a change in the definition of disability. Most disability insurance policies have two definitions of disability, one for the “own occupation” period and one for the “any occupation” period. The change in definition typically occurs after 24 months. Ameritas may review your claim around the time of this transition. They may determine that you are able to do other work, and therefore, are no longer disabled.
If you filed your claim on your own and Ameritas has denied your claim, it is strongly recommended that you do not proceed through the appeal process without an attorney.
Can I File a Lawsuit Against Ameritas?
In some cases, an appeal is successful and the claimant is put “on claim”. This means that the claim was approved and benefits were paid by Ameritas without having to resort to a lawsuit. However, that is not always the case.
If you’ve exhausted your appeals, we’re here to help you file a lawsuit against Ameritas. We will help you file the suit and prepare all necessary documentation for the court review process.
Filing a Disability Insurance Claim with Ameritas
Filing a successful claim for disability benefits can be stressful, difficult, and downright overwhelming. If you are attempting to obtain disability insurance benefits under a policy offered by Ameritas, you should:
- Hire an attorney that has experience with disability insurance claims. You do not have to work with an attorney to file a claim, but assistance in the process may make the difference between an approval and a denial. Our familiarity and knowledge of Ameritas claims handling procedures can be invaluable. Mr. Ortiz has experience in reviewing Ameritas claim requirements, the reasons they deny claims, and the mistakes to avoid while filing a disability claim.
- Do not be intimidated! When your financial survival is on the line, you must not let yourself be intimidated by Ameritas and its claims representatives. Mr. Ortiz is a disability insurance lawyer who has stood up to disability insurance companies time and time again, and has successfully recovered millions in benefits for his clients.
Ameritas Contact Information
You can contact Ameritas regarding a disability insurance claim here or by using the contact information below:
Ameritas Life Insurance Corp.
5900 O Street
P.O. Box 81889
Lincoln, NE 68501-1889
Ortiz Law Firm Provides Aggressive Representation to Long Term Disability Claimants
We understand how frustrating it can be to receive a disability claim denial, and we will fight for the benefits that you deserve. Mr. Ortiz is an experienced disability attorney who has recovered millions in benefits for his numerous clients. Whether your claim was denied from the initial application or you received a benefit cessation letter – which means their benefits are being “cut-off” or terminated, you should contact our office. The experience we have gained while helping past clients fight insurance companies such as Ameritas has given our team great insight into the best steps to take to improve your chances of recovering benefits.
Contact our office online or call (866) 853-4512 to schedule a free consultation with an experienced disability attorney to discuss your claim and learn how we can help you fight for the benefits you deserve.
Request a Free Policy Evaluation
If you are considering purchasing a disability insurance policy or have recently purchased a policy, we will help you understand what you are entitled to and whether there are deficiencies in your coverage that could lead to a denied claim. It is easy for individual policyholders who are not trained to read insurance policies to misread or misunderstand the disability policy. As part of our evaluation, we will explain what everything means to you in your situation.
Some of the aspects of your policy we will review include:
- Total versus residual disability;
- Own occupation versus any gainful occupation;
- Mental and nervous disability benefit limitations; and
- Self-reported conditions benefit limitations.
Fill out the form below to submit your request, and please allow 5 business days to receive your free Policy Evaluation Report.